Friday, May 20, 2016

SY Visions of Johanna crossing day 3

DATE: Friday, 20 May, 2016, 8:00 AM Eastern

North Atlantic Ocean
Position: 30 24.3N/75 06W
Conditions: Wind has been 110 - 115 mag overnight, and is now approx. 130 mag, holding around 10-11 knots this morning, has built slowly over night as it veered from 110 at midnight.
Currently motor sailing close hauled, TWD 133 degrees ; SOG 8.8 knots; We were averaging 7.5 knots overnight, and elected to continue a NE route to catch a CCW eddy. Ken McKinley confirmed location for us and it feels that we finally are benefiting now, with a 1 plus knot boost. Big question will be whether to head east on a rhumbline to Bermuda, or continue NE. Expedition routes us on a continued NE course, both based on GFS/Wind alone, or GFS + RTOFS current file --> towards a WP 33 05N/70 20W. Right now, if we head rhumbline east, we will be headed dead upwind against 11 Knots at the present.

I am inclined to hold this course toward the 33 05N/70 20W WP as long as we are enjoying a boosted SOG. I also think that since GRIBS suggest continued veering to the SSW over the next 48 hours, Expedition is looping us north in order to swing back south of east on the Bermuda approach in order to keep wind closer to the beam. We'll see what develops.

Another easy night, motor sailing. Swells eased through the night and motion was quite easy. Seas are slowly building now as wind has slowly increased and averaged 11.5 knots over the past 30 minutes.Dinner al fresco in the cockpit last night. Seared tuna, 5 grain vegetable cous-cous, and green salad. Really a nice time as we watched the sunset over the ocean. I think people feel the vastness of the ocean as humbling and awesome at the same time. We have not sighted any ships for over 24 hours. VHF Radio silent. No internet...

All is well on-board.

Best wishes,

Bill Strassberg and crew, SY Visions of Johanna

This e-mail was delivered via satellite phone using GMN's XGate software.
Please be kind and keep your replies short.

No comments: