AIS Positon

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Fire On-Board

I don't have much in the way of details and will post more when I get back to NZ and learn more, but on New Years Eve Morning, Bill discovered a fire in the engine room. Initial inspection leads us to believe the battery charger was the source of the fire (probably an internal short). Damage is significant, but note too severe. Biggest problem is that while initially using a halatron extinguisher, it ended up taking dry chemical extinguishers from the dock to put out the fire and the chemical used is quite corrosive and causes lots of problems.

Luckily the boat was at the dock, they were awake, and at least initially it doesn't appear there is any structural damage to the fiberglass. It will still be a TON of work to tear down the engine room, repair damage, and put everything back, making sure everything is in working order.

Thankfully we have the hospitality of Ralph and Sharon Kast as the boat isn't livable right now.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Wow, really really sorry to hear this news... but at least it wasn't worse (total loss or deaths). Thinking of you. What a job!! (Just when you were ready to kick back and catch up on the many projects that must be waiting...)